Sunday 8 March 2009

Wicked

While I saw Wicked almost two weeks ago, the Tuesday before last, I still feel that it warrants mentioning, if only because it was so purely and completely different from the book of the same name. While the book is insufferably long, frequently boring and occasionally grotesque, the musical version is sweet, funny and utterly charming. Sitting through Wicked is one of the few times when I can suspend my disbelief and I have rarely believed in a character so much as I believed in Elphaba, perhaps because everyone can feel sympathy for the poor neglected little girl who becomes a hero. It's the sort of show you come out of feeling as though you've experienced a sweet and particularly pleasant dream, when you're not sure if you're actually walking on the concrete or perhaps floating above it.

Don't take this as a review, take it as a recommendation, and definitely see Wicked if you've got the chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment