Saturday 30 May 2009

Hampstead Heath

Yesterday I found myself journeying to Hampstead Heath, which is a very old, very expansive portion of parkland. Unlike Hyde Park and Regents Park, Hampstead Heath is largely ungroomed, giving itself to forest and pond more or less the way it has for hundreds of years.

The earliest information concerning Hampstead Heath dates back to 986 when King Ethelred the Unready (certainly not a name I'd want. I mean, couldn't he have made people call him Ethelred the Awesome or Ethelred the Ever-pleasant or something? Ethelred the Unready seems downright insulting) gave 5 hides of land at "Hemstede" to a servant.

Hampstead Heath is huge, encompassing 790 acres of land, among which are many hills, several ponds, some playgrounds and running trails and even a few swimming pools. Although some bits of the Heath have been appropriated for buildings, it is for the most part the way it has always been, and all of it is open to the public. It is quite beautiful as well (see photos below).





I took these two while I was lying in the grass.

The only way I can actually manage to look tall.













2 comments:

  1. These are awesome pics, particularly the pic of the road. You are great at photography. And maybe people should call 'Ethelred the unready', 'Ethelred the honest' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I actually like the ones of the pond best. It's really easy to take good pictures of beautiful things, though.

    I think I would've preferred being called honest to being called Unready, at least it's a compliment, even if it doesn't rhyme as well.

    ReplyDelete