Saturday 24 January 2009

The Rain: the good, the bad and the shivering wet

I bought an umbrella today. It's a pretty one, star-spangled (and no, that's not an American flag reference, it just happens to have multi-coloured stars), but it is a day too late.

Just yesterday, sloshing my way through the rain, bitterly contemplating my wet socks and my drowned-rat hair, I knew that this downpour was my punishment for not bringing an umbrella in this, the rainiest of countries. And now I know better.

Arriving at the tube station, I purchased a pasty (that's pass-tee, by the way) and the trials and tribulations of the weather were duly forgotten.

So here's the truth: yeah, it rains a lot, but not in the way that you would expect. It never rains all day (at least not in my experience). And when the sun comes out after a rain shower, it makes the puddles sparkle, and you appreciate the sun as you never would on a truly sunny day.

But bring an umbrella anyway. I've heard people that God is in the rain, but I think that it's only if He's peeing. Just joking.

No comments:

Post a Comment