Monday 16 February 2009

Happy Valentinte's Day! (yeah, I know it was on Saturday)

This was absolutely the best Valentine's Day that I have had to date (and without a date, mind you). In my determination to be out of character, I vowed not to spend my Valentine's Day at home alone (it is really far better to spend it outside and alone, as I discovered).

On Saturday, I defied my own lack of direction to finally discover where Old Spitalfields Market was, and felt quite triumphant in finding it, except for the minor fact that none of the stalls were open. But the stores and restaurants around the market were, and I enjoyed a celebratory lunch at a sweet little crepe shop (I loooove crepes. If you don't love crepes, then it's only because haven't had them properly, and I pity you).

After returning the way I came (which is to say I went home for a bit), I thought to take advantage of the nature of the day, and thusly I took myself out to the National Film Institute for a free outdoor showing of Shakespeare in Love.

Of course, being myself, I turned the wrong way coming out of the tube station and couldn't find the National Film Institute, which turned out quite well anyway. The Thames was beautiful that night, with the lights glittering off of it, and ropes of twinkle lights lining the balustrades. Beautiful things are enjoyable whether or not you have someone to share them with, I've discovered. So I meandered along at my pleasure, taking out of focus pictures (my camera doesn't like to cooperate when it's dark outside) and feeling the breeze on my cheeks.

In the course of my walk, I did have a young lady shout in my face, but I'm sure it was well intentioned.

'Mum, Guess what? I'm engaged!' she yelled gleefully.

She had a cell phone pressed to her ear, so I'm pretty sure she didn't think I was her mother, and she didn't step on my feet, so overall, I was quite happy to get out of her way.

Being myself, of course, I eventually had to use the loo, and after popping into a building for use of their facilities, I held the door for a young lady pushing a cart full of cake slices. She, being disproportionately grateful, gave me a free one.

After a bit more wandering, I happened upon the movie that I had come to see initially (about 45 minutes in, which is completely ok, as I've seen it before), and although I will admit that eventually my tushi did get a bit cold, I thoroughly enjoyed it (and, as usual, cried at the end). So, there I sat, popping lemonheads (which I had brought with me, carrying them fiendishly in my pocket, like an alcoholic with a bottle of beer) and crying.

Of course, though, any night on which you get free cake is a good night.

Sunday, while not technically Valentine's Day, I will count as a part of it.

Why?

Because this is my blog and I want to.

Sunday, after having overslept, as usual, which is far less of a crime when one has nothing to do with one's day, I did a bit of homework before setting off into the vastness of the city, to end up at 33 Portland Place, where I received my very first tango lesson.

The building, which is a stately residence on the outside, blending well with the officious-looking white-faced schools and embassies that trot down the rest of Portland Place, is deliciously dilapidated on the inside, with aged wooden floors, peeling wallpaper, and candlelight adding to the atmposphere. In short, the perfect place to learn to tango.

While I don't profess to be graceful, I do enjoy learning, and watching those with considerably more experience (and poise) than I have spin around the room after the lesson, I promised myself I'd be back next week.

So, in short, my dateless Valentine's day was not without it's own sense of romance (and cake! did I mention the free cake?). And I've discovered that life can be surprisingly entertaining if you'll just put in the effort to look outside of your own four walls, and if you're willing to take things with a little sense of adventure. I have also promised myself to try at least one new thing every day, and we'll see where that takes me.

Cheers!

- Lena

2 comments:

  1. You sound cheery and delightful. I'm so happy for you! Oh, and getting engaged on Valentine's Day is the cheesiest damn thing on the face of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but she sounded happy. Anyhow, it feels wrong to trample on other people's happiness, even if they're being all cheesy and typical about it.

    ReplyDelete