Tuesday 10 February 2009

St. Paul's

After leaving the Globe, I decided to do a bit of wandering (as I normally decide to do when I don't really know where I'm going or what I'm doing).

The Globe is right up against the Thames, much like its several-centuries gone predecessor (which would be under the bridge, by the way, if it still existed). The Tate Modern, oddly enough, stands right next to the Globe, in all of it's sparkly contemporariness. Since modern art is not really my thing (and since I am, of course, attracted to shiny objects), I decided to take the new-looking metal bridge across the Thames.

In a stroke of luck, I happened across it just as the sun was starting to set, and the view was really lovely (I'll post pictures later, so I won't have to expostulate now).

Of course, halfway across the bridge, I once again discovered within my soul the urge to pee (those of you who know me won't find this too surprising). At the end of the bridge, I soon saw a light at the end of my tunnel.

Gazing at the magnificent white building I saw in the distance, I thought, "Surely, that would be a wonderful place to pee."

Coming closer to the divine structure, I came to realize that it was, in fact, a divine structure. For in my zealous journey to relieve my bladder, I had stumbled upon St. Paul's Cathedral.

Well, in the face of St. Paul's, bathed in all of the beauty of the sunset, my bladder was temporarily forgotten. I eagerly snapped photos of the Cathedral as its white walls became golden in the light.

Reminded of Mary Poppins (you know the song that she sings about the bird lady by the cathedral: "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"), I began humming the tune as I took photos. Despite my crazy appearance, however (would you approach a girl who was humming, snapping photos maniacally and wearing purple shoes? Well, ok, the purple shoes were incidental), a pair of tourists asked me to take their picture in front of the Cathedral, which I think only shows poor judgment on the part of the tourists (mwahaha).

Anyway, not wanting to go into the Cathedral just to pee (felt sacreligious somehow, and yes, I know I'm Jewish), I popped into the Starbucks across the square. After which, I decided to go into the Cathedral anyway. I snapped another picture just inside the doors (as I realized that picture-taking inside the Cathedral is strictly forbidden) and guiltily packed away my camera before walking around. It really is quite beautiful on the inside, as are most Cathedrals, but it's quite heavy on the religious iconography. I have to say, despite how beautiful it was, I felt entirely out of place, and I most definitely felt my Jewishness as I rarely do.

This being so, I took a quick walk around before heading down the gift shop/cafe on a subterranean level (separate outside entrance). The gift shop is rather heavy on the religious iconography as well, with lots of pricey jewelry (they also sell beautiful Rosaries), but I did feel better there (I generally feel better anywhere within proximity of coffee), but I left quickly, and none too soon, I realized, as they shut and locked the gift shop door behind me, and I heard the echoes of music above (apparently, there was a five o'clock service I hadn't been aware of).

In any case, St. Paul's in the Crypt is far different from St. Martin's. Bright, with white marble walls and large white statues in the niches, it is an overall happier incarnation (with no tombs underfoot, if that sort of thing troubles you). I'd still say I prefer St. Martin's just a bit better, though.

After leaving St. Paul's, I bought a cup of tea at Starbucks and made the long and arduous journey home, which required much walking and turning around (mostly because I had no idea where I was going, once again), but I made it back eventually, which is, I guess, the important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment