Monday 2 February 2009

Snow: the aftermath

Ok, to be fair, it wasn't that bad, and I did make it to class on time (or nearly on time, which is good enough for me). But it is always outrageously amusing to see the reactions of a city unaccustomed to downpours of fluffy white stuff.

Walking down the streets this morning to get to the tube, I noted, with no particular joy, that none of the streets had been plowed or salted. While the walking wasn't really difficult, the snow has now solidified into a hardened slush. Most of the public transportation has nearly shut down as a result of the snow (only two tube lines are running properly, a couple are closed down completely and all of the others have closed down in part/and/or are experiencing severe delays). I had to wait ten minutes in the stairway leading up to the tube station before they'd even let us in (staggering entrance to prevent overcrowding and stampeding), and spent a significant chunk of my ride to school attempting not to sit in the lap of the guy behind me (and failing). I apologized (but I'm not sure that was entirely necessary). ; )

Everyone, tourist or no, is out on the streets clutching cameras, photographing the newly white miracle of a city we've woken up to. Oddly enough, people walk around carrying umbrellas in the snow, holding them up like magic charms, as though the umbrella will actually save them. I've got news for you guys, an umbrella won't keep you from falling on your tush on an icy street.

No comments:

Post a Comment