Monday 2 February 2009

More Snow!!!

It was snowing all day today, which resulted in extraordinary amounts of slush, but also made the city look quite pictureque. My internship toolkit class was cancelled (yay!!!) because one of the campuses was completely shut down (they weren't letting anyone in, not even when I asked to use the loo, which I think is a bit rude, but that's beside the point). I also managed to get a few (better) shots of it, so here are the results of my labour (which basically involved standing on the sidewalk and having people look at me like a weirdo for taking pictures, although some other people were doing it too).

This is the statue in front of the dorm I'm living in. It's just called "The Juggler," but I call him Pan, because that's who he reminds me of. He's actually devoted to Circus on the other side of the block.




This is my block. This is how I roll. You can't actually see my place in this photo, but it's the lighter coloured building on the left.




This the statue of Sherlock Holmes that stands outside of Baker Street station. Dignified, ain't he? If you look at the caption on the pedestal he's standing on (which you can't, obviously, as I didn't photograph it), it's inscribed with the words "The Great Detective." If you're really into Sherlock Holmes, there's also a Sherlock Holmes pub and restaurant about a block away from the Charing Cross tube stop. It's fun, but a bit overpriced if you ask me.

This is the Marylebone Parish Church, by the way.


More on the Marylebone High Street. Just took this one because I thought it was pretty, but if you look closely, the building is called "The Duke's Hall."


This is a very pretty little park on the corner of Portland Place and Park Crescent, and it's basically directly between the Regent Street campus and the Marylebone campus (which was closed today).

Ooooooh. Pretty tree.




I loved that there were blooming flowers covered in snow. It seemed ironic to me, somehow, so I took a picture of it.

Again, this is on Portland Place.












Hey Dmitry, buddy, this photo's totally just for you. And you know why.



This is a very pretty churchyard that I pass on my way to the Liverpool Street tube station. The gate is always locked, and it's always empty, but it's quite lovely, or at least I think so.

2 comments:

  1. It's very...London covered in snow. London looks so clean and quiet, despite being rather busy all of the time. And the snow makes it more so, somehow, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does actually, make it more London-ey looking. It also makes everything shut down. No buses were running, and nearly all of the tube lines were at least in part suspended.

    ReplyDelete